2021 Groundhog Psi-clocross Preview
Why is this race called Groundhog PSI-clocross? Well, in 1992 the downtown square of Woodstock, IL was used to film the movie Groundhog Day. Rob Curtis and the PSIMET crew have carried some parts of the movie into the venue.
- Registration closes Friday at 10pm. There will be day of registration available at a higher price but only through BikeReg.
- The race day schedule is different than usual. Novice/Cat 5 race is at 7:20am (reg opens at 6:30). Masters races have been split into 1/2/3 and 4/5. 3’s are now 3/4.
- The last race of the day is call the “Spirit of the Forbie” race. Pronounced “4B”. It is an OPEN race so all categories and genders may now experience the last race of the day. Staging is in reverse order. With so many racing it we encourage everyone else to stay and give them something to experience.
- Remember that Daylight Savings ends the morning of the race so be sure you have the right time!
- There is plenty of parking throughout the park. As with all previous years there is NO PARKING ON THE GRASS. This is the strictest rule the park and city have for the facility. This also means no vehicles on the grass to drop off gear early in the morning <looks at masters teams>.
- If you enter from either of the Park’s North entrances (Kishwaukee Valley Rd or Jackson St) then you can drive right up to the “tent city” field and drop off gear.
- This park has “always” had a “no alcohol” policy. So when you bring in cups for your soda and lemonade PSIMET asks that you pack out what you bring in. It helps PSIMET make sure the park doesn’t think we’re a drinking series with a cycling problem if there aren’t a lot of juice boxes laying around.
- Food: Mario Kart food truck will be serving between 11 and 2:30
- In “Groundhog Day” Diner fashion – Homemade pies made by Jill Stuck will be awarded on the podium to the winners. Team sponsor Begyle Brewing is also making sure winners don’t get thirsty.
- Equipment Pits will be single width and will not use the orange fencing this year. There will NOT be any water or washing facilities at the race though, so if conditions look to be getting worse then please plan your own support accordingly. There are a couple of water spigots around the park that may or may not be in service .
- There won’t be much if any daylight left after the last race ends, so please plan accordingly. Also if you can, please help PSIMET tear down the course so they aren’t doing it all in the dark.
- Kids Race will be hosted by Parker Curtis and held at 2:00pm.
- As another reminder, if you are pre-riding while anyone is finishing up, please make sure you are NOT inadvertently riding in front of people still racing. Just ride slowly behind them and offer words of encouragement or ring a cowbell. Thanks!
- If you’re interested in looking over the filming locations for the movie there is a great map for self-guided tours here: http://www.woodstockgroundhog.org/walking-tour/
- Remember to use #psiCX on Twitter and Instagram.
- The course: similar to 2019 run Clockwise. Barriers. Up Heckle Hill. Off Camber. Woods. No sand.
Categories: Course Preview
Comments are off for this post.