- Quick update for anyone looking to get a head start on the 2019 season, or still holding on a little too tightly to the 2018 season.
- We’ll be hibernating in the CCC evile lair until at least May, but our friends out in Rockford are already out of their dens and getting after it, hosting their Spring CX series again. Check out info, dates, etc. below and on the newly updated BikeReg.com and give their races a try if you’re so inclined.
Screw City Cyclocross Classic – Sunday, March 24, 2019
Atwood Park. Map at https://goo.gl/rhuWfX
Registration – https://www.bikereg.com/screw-
Return to the Hills Cross Race – Saturday, Apr 6, 2019
Alpine Hills Adventure Park. Map at https://goo.gl/BMRt6h
Registration – https://www.bikereg.com/
Another Dam Cross Race – Saturday, April 20, 2019
Reuben Aldeen Park Dam. Map at https://goo.gl/NJY1i3
Registration – https://www.bikereg.com/dam-
- Hi everyone, normally we’d hope you were outside enjoying your bicycles, but today and tomorrow… please, please, please stay inside. You can’t ride this weekend if your body and bike are frozen. Stay warm and safe!
- Just a reminder that this weekend are the 2019 UCI Cyclo-Cross World Championships in Bogense Denmark. We’re sure a few places around town will be hosting viewing parties. Leave comments below if you know where or with whom. Enjoy the racing and almost the end to the CX season. Believe it or not there are still seven more UCI races after the World Champs.
- And finally… George Armstrong has completed his portraits from Montrose and emailed riders individually. If you haven’t received your images or just want to see what the portraits and podiums look like, check them out here in this Google Drive folder. If you still can’t find your image but remember George taking them, email him at [email protected].
- LAST CALL!!! The end of season awards party will be held this Saturday 1/12/2019 from 6-9pm at the Rapha Chicago Clubhouse. Join us! We’ll have food & drinks and prizes provided by Cowbell.com, SRAM, Pactimo, FormMount, Abus, Main St Bikes, Rapha, and more.
- And finally… please RSVP! Tacos from Big Star and beers from Half Acre and Miller are on us but we need an accurate head count.
- Happy New Year!!! We hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday season and new year!
- We’ll be hosting the end of season awards party at the Rapha Chicago Clubhouse on Saturday 1/12/2019 at 6pm. Please join us and the overall series winners to celebrate the 2018 Chicago Cyclocross Cup season and start talking about the 2019 season. We’ll have overall series winner prizes, door prizes, and food & drinks. No cover charge, but please RSVP so we know how many tacos to order and beers to crack open.
- You may remember we had George Armstrong at Montrose taking portraits and podium photos. George had a busy holiday season but should have those photos ready soon. Look for a link here on the site in the very near future.
- And finally… Thanks again to everyone who donated money throughout the season to our series causes. On 12/31/18 we donate $800 each to Blackstone Bicycle Works, West Town Bikes, and Big Marsh. A dollar or two here and there may seem small to some of us, but when added up and combined with many others it can make a huge difference for the people involved with these groups. So thank you, thank you, thank you!
- Congrats to everyone who traveled to Louisville, KY last week and over the weekend to race at the USA Cycling National Championships. The conditions were absolutely brutal with lots of mud and rain, but that didn’t stop several CCC’ers from having some fun and racking up some great results in the process. Special congratulations to Emiliano Arteaga for hitting the podium in 3rd in the Boys Junior 11-12 year old race on Saturday. Full results are here and we’re anticipating photos over on SnowyMountain.
- Well, that’s it for cyclocross racing here in the states. However there’s plenty of racing through the end of January in Europe though. We’ll mostly be shutting down the updates here on the site, but we’ll be sure to use Twitter for any exciting updates we think you may be interested in.
- We wish everyone a merry holiday season and happy new year. Please travel and ride safe and we’ll see you again in 2019!
- And finally… and speaking of things you may be interested in and 2019… we’ll be hosting the end of season awards party at the Rapha Chicago Clubhouse on Saturday 1/12/2019 at 6pm. No tickets, no entry fee, no sit down dinner, no staging grid. Just some good times hanging out with CX minded people, without bikes. Come hang out with us, Kenny, and the overall series winners to celebrate another great Chicago Cyclocross Cup season. We’ll have food, dranks, cowbells, overall series winner prizes, and door prizes. Please be sure to RSVP so we know how many tacos and beers to bring.
- Looks like Afterglow was a another success with lots of fun racing and it all going to several great causes. Also, the Slurpee podium “medals” were fantastic. Not that they really matter, but results are here. Thanks to everyone who raced and came out to support Blackstone Bikes and West Town Bikes.
- Speaking of, we’re still tallying all the donations made through the season and will make our series donation to Blackstone Bikes, West Town Bikes & Big Marsh before the end of the year. THANK YOU to everyone who donated to such worthy causes.
- Several Chicago area riders also traveled up to WI the day before on Saturday to race at the Midwest Regional CX Championships and brought home jerseys. Congrats to Jordan Austin (Jr Women 15-18), Danny Warner (Masters 55+), & Jacob Huizenga (Single Speed). Full results are here.
- The Chicagoland CX season is done for the year, but there’s still one big race left. USAC CX National Championships start today (Tuesday) in Louisville, KY. Good luck to everyone traveling to race. We’ll try to keep up with results on Twitter and retweet results with CCC participants on the podium. Kenny has already put together a crib sheet of riders and start times in the comments here.
- Speaking of being done, congrats to all the riders who earned their USAC CX category upgrades. Yes, we see all those and we’re excited to see several riders upgrading right after Montrose. Good luck and we’ll see you in the next category in 2019. Kenny is already writing his race commentary notes.
- Speaking of next season, please keep those comments & suggestions emails coming. We can’t promise we’ll make all the changes everyone wants, but we want to hear from you.
- And finally… Please mark you calendars for Saturday January 12th around 6pm when we’ll be having the our Series Awards Party. We’re finally finalizing the final details but we’re changing things up this year with a new date, time, location, and less formal format so more people can attend. No tickets, no dinner, but still the same good company, conversation, and cheer. And of course cow bells, clean jerseys, and awards for our series winners and door prizes even if you didn’t win an overall jersey. More details to come next week.
- Oh man, was that yet another exciting Montrose Harbor / Illinois State CX Championship or what?? So many great races, so many stories to tell, so many state jerseys and series overall titles that went down to the wire. We hope you all had as much fun racing and riding as we did watching it all unfold. All the links for all the results you are looking for are at the bottom of the page here. Overall series and state champ winners are all listed here.
- There are a limited amount of Montrose posters still available (we realize some people did not want to deal with artwork in the mud). Also a couple prize checks were not picked up. Email [email protected] for info on both.
- If your bike touched the ground at Montrose, make sure to get it cleaned up before heading to the next race or hanging it up for the season. We’re sure every local shop has specials going on right now. Series sponsor The Pony Shop let us know they have a deal right now that completely tears down your bike to the frame, waxes the frameset, cleans all parts in our safe ultrasonic cleaner, repacks or replaces all bearings, cables, tape, and hydro fluid. Perfect for Road, cyclocross, and mountain bikes. The complete overhaul is 200.00 plus parts. All parts are 10% off with the special.
- While the CCC season may be over we still have some end-of-the-year things to do:
- First, while its still fresh in your head, drop us an email and let us know how we can make the series better next year. We’re always looking for ways to make the CCC the Best Amateur CX Series in the Country.
- B. We’ll have our awards party in January, probably the 2nd or 3rd weekend. We’re still working out the details, so stay tuned.
- III. We are still collecting donations for our series causes, Blackstone Bikes, West Town Bikes, and Big Marsh. If you’d like to make a donation through the series send us and email, or you can donate directly through the links above.
- Speaking of West Town and Blackstone, this coming Sunday the last CX race in the Chicagoland area takes place at Afterglow, hosted by the Chicago Cuttin’ Crew and back in Douglas Park. Come out and race, have a great time, and support the youth of Chicago.
- If you’re looking for something more racey, racey… the MidWest Regional CX Championships hosted by L5 Racing are being held the day before on Saturday up in Sun Prairie, WI.
- And speaking of Championships, the USA Cycling National CX Championships are being held next week in Louisville, KY. Good luck to everyone heading down to race.
- And finally… with the holiday season coming up very soon, if you have the means, please support our series sponsors when purchasing gifts for your loved ones.
- We hope you all had a great Thanksgiving weekend and had a chance to catch up and spend time with your family and loved ones.
- Our man with the mic Kenny Labbé went to Region Riot CX with Torch and even though he was off the clock, he still tweeted out pics of all the podiums. Congrats to everyone who raced and kept the engine running.
- Next up, the CCC finishes up with the grand finalé and Illinois State Championship at Montrose Harbor. Just like every year, let’s make a day of it. Come out early, stay late, and let’s finish up the series in style.
Spidermonkey Cycling is continually adding information about #MontroseCX to its landing page, but look for the full race preview here on Thursday.
Parking spots at Montrose are going fast. We will try to accommodate paying for parking on race day, but guarantee a close spot by adding to your checkout when you register on BikeReg by Thursday night.
- At Montrose we’ll have George Armstrong taking rider portraits (for free). George was at the Intelligentsia Cup this summer and you can check out his work here.
- While the series will be over and the series overall winners will be determined on Sunday, we’re going to push the end of season awards party back until after the holidays (final date TBD). With USAC CX National Championships being held 12/11 – 12/16 in Louisville there just aren’t enough weekend hours to fit it all in before the holidays. We’ll look to have they party sometime in January, perhaps somewhere in the city. More details as soon as we figure them out.
- And finally… while the 2018 CCC series racing will be over after Sunday there’s still one very important (perhaps the MOST important) CX event… Afterglow – AlterNats! This year the event returns to Douglas Park Sunday on 12/9/18 and online pre-reg is now open. Be there!
- Grandpa always said, when life gives you lemons, make orange juice… or something like that. Without a ton of terrain to work with at Pheasant Run the South Chicago Wheelmen built a fun course and along with a “helping hand” from mother nature the weekend turned out to be one of the hardest of this year’s series. Thanks to everyone who came out to race and see the spectacle. Links to all the results you’re looking for are at the bottom of the page here.
- In the Overall Series Standings GoogleSheet riders in yellow have already secured their overall series titles by accumulating enough series points so they are >60 points ahead of the next placed rider, making it mathematically impossible to be caught. That being said, many categories are very, very, very, very close going into the final race, in some case less than 5 points separates the top 3 riders! So Montrose should be just as exciting as ever!
- But before we get to the last race, the series takes a quick pause to give thanks and spend some quality family time with the people we may or may not have seen since early September. So no matter how you celebrate Thanksgiving, please enjoy this coming weekend off the bike.
- If you’re in town and still want to keep the racing edge sharp, our Region Racing friends just over the border in Indiana are hosting Region Riot Cross on Sunday. Online pre-reg closes Friday.
- And then the week after the CCC returns and finishes up with 2018 Illinois State CX Championships presented by Rapha at Montrose Harbor in downtown Chicago. Plenty of details to discuss, but we’ll get to those next week. If you want brush up see the static race page here.
- Please RSVP for the Rapha number pickup party the day before the Illinois State Championship p/b Rapha Chicago and come to the race with your number already pinned! There will also beer beer and food, as well as 25% off the store for all pre-registered riders.
- Also for Montrose, there are still some paid parking spots available right next to the start and finish areas. Close parking is somewhat limited at this venue and with the possible weather conditions, being close to the start and finish, before and after your race is nice. Guarantee this spot will be available at any time. Purchase spots on BikeReg when you register. Larger teams can purchase multiple spots for trailers, RVs, etc … by contacting Spidermonkey Cycling directly. [email protected]
- And finally… Just a quick comment about poorly positioned bib numbers and long hair obscuring bib numbers. If One2Go and the USAC officials can’t see your number, at best it disrupts scoring and makes generating results longer, and at worst you don’t get scored and may get fined real, actual money. Please, please, please follow the example of a properly pinned number in One2Go’s pre-race email and please make sure to put that long hair in a pony tail. Thanks!!!
- Thanks to everyone who came out to race, cheer, and eat candy at a chilly yet sunny Wheeling Heritage CX. Links to all the results you’re looking for are at the bottom of the page here.
- Next up the CCC heads to Pheasant Run Resort in St. Charles, IL for the series’ only double race day weekend hosted by the South Chicago Wheelmen. There are 2 separate event pages on BikeReg (Saturday & Sunday), so please make sure you sign up for the correct day if you aren’t racing both days (although we’re not sure why you wouldn’t just race both days?!!?!). Online pre-reg will close at the regular time Thursday evening. Look for the course preview here on Thursday morning.
- If you’re planning to spend the night at Pheasant Run Resort, there are discounted room rates of $92 per night. Call Pheasant Run at 630-584-6330 and use code “cyclocross”.
- Also at PRR. We’re a little short staffed this Saturday and need help taking podium pictures for Twitter. If you have a mobile phone with a camera and can help out, please email us your podium pictures as soon as you take them. Thanks!
- There are only 3 races left in this year’s series, but still no one in any category has locked up their overall titles. That means the racing will be fast and exciting all the way until the State Championship at Montrose Harbor.
- Speaking of Montrose, the host club Spidermonkey Cycling just announced our friends over at the Rapha Chicago Clubhouse will be sponsoring the event and having a pre-race soiree at the clubhouse. Look for more details to come.
- If you’re not traveling for Thanksgiving, our friends just over the Indiana border are hosting Region Riot CX on 11/25/18 in Crown Point, IN. Details for USA Cycling’s CX National Championships in Louisville, KY are updated, and the Afterglow hosted by the Chicago Cuttin’ Crew is happening Sunday 12/9/18. Links to all these events and more are over on our Schedule page.
- And finally… another reminder the 2nd annual Women’s Networking Event hosted by UPB Juniors will be held Saturday 11/17/18 at 2:15pm in the UPB tent at Pheasant Run Resort. As part of this event, UPB will also hold the Ultimate Pro Racer Raffle to benefit a Women Cat 3/4/5 at Montrose. Proceeds will go towards the 2019 Juniors CX Camp. The raffle tickets will be on sale 9a – 12pm Saturday and Sunday as well as during the networking event. Warm drinks and treats at 2:15 pm on that Saturday. All women racers are welcome to come and visit. UPB’s juniors are hosting and will be mingling.