- Hey everyone, we’re less than 2 weeks out from the first race of the series on 9/24/2023 hosted by South Chicago Wheelman at Glenwood Academy. Please register (do we even need to call it pre-registering anymore?) over on BikeReg.com.
- As mentioned last week, the 2nd race of the series should be hosted by xXx Racing with location TBD. However the date has now been pushed back 1 week to 10/8/2023. We’ll have the race on BikeReg.com as soon as everything is ready to go. Hold tight for details.
- All other events are on BikeReg.com (filter by Event Type = Cyclocross, Event Location = Illinois, and Event Name = chicrosscup). We’re still waiting on permits to be finalized for Campton and Wheeling and then those events will open for registration.
- We’re very happy and excited to welcome back some long-time series sponsors to 2023. We’ve completely lost count how many years all of these folks/businesses have supported the series and we are forever grateful for your support! Whether you’re looking for a new house, a new bike, a new bike helmet or lock, a new bike coach, legal help if you’ve been in a bike accident, or a new culvert and civil engineering help… please consider one of these businesses. Thanks!
- And finally… we realized there was some old information on our FAQ page which has been updated. Please take a few minutes before we start the season to review and familiarize yourself with the Rules and FAQs page and the USAC RuleBook and multiple Policies. Thanks and see you all soon!
- Quick reminder we’re having our Town Hall tonight at the Specialized Fulton Market at 6:30pm. Please RSVP here: https://forms.office.com/r/z06wut8s65
- Afterglow is BACK this Saturday 5/27/2023!!!
- From the crew… we’re ready to show off the Big Marsh Park, Chicago Park District’s only park dedicated to cycling! Continuing our mission of creating bike access for youth cycling programs, get ready to run, jump, ride, and dance amidst the beautiful wilderness that is Lake Calumet. We’ll have live DJ’s, an inflatable MTB lander, and a hot dog stand! Proceeds benefit Friends of Big Marsh so they can continue to offer inclusive and joyful outdoors activities.
- Afterglow will offer a whole new set of events! In addition to our typical cyclocross race, we’re pumped to incorporate running, walking, a group exploration guided tour, bmx demos, and a dance class into the day. Explanation of each is available on the second page of the Afterglow 2023 Schedule Flyer. Choose your race/ride based on your ability/vibes!
- Additionally, Afterglow participation will be FREE for all young people, and we are providing full race day support for youth from Working Bikes, West Town Bikes, Bikes N Roses, Boxing Out Negativity, and other youth orgs. Are you a young person or are you in a community with young folks who are interested in participating? Get in touch so we can lift ‘em up!
- We are also offering a discounted subscription to ALL of Big Marsh’s summer racing for the price of $100 ($150 if you want all the merch!). This includes ALL of the Afterglow events AND SRAM’s Mountain Bike Series, for a total of 7 days of racing.
- As always, equal payouts of $0.00. And while it is the most affordable race on the calendar, know that any extra donations may give you an advantage!
- To register, FIRST complete the Bike Event Registration Link and/or Run/Walk Event Registration Link, THEN pay/donate at MightyCause OR @bigmarshchicago on Venmo OR day-of cash OR check made out to Friends of Big Marsh. We will have a donation box on-site to collect your gently used gear, clothing, and cash money.
- Day-of registration and number pick up opens at 8:00am outside of the Ford Calumet Environmental Center. Bib numbers will go on your bike (like a mountain bike race), course runs counterclockwise, and we encourage you to carpool. Tailwind Cycles will be providing neutral support. The course is open NOW (see below), so if you’re up for discovering the most correct line, feel free to come out!
- Water refills, restrooms, and vending machines will be available at the Ford Calumet Environmental Center. Food for purchase will be available from the newly opened Nature Trail Cafe.
- Can’t race? Feel free to fiscally compete at MightyCause! Half Acre Cycling is currently leading the board with their $2,520 donation!
- Thank you for continuing to support the young people of our city — their programs not only provide transportation to the races and food and snacks, but also a sense of home and accomplishment for the beloved young people of our community.
- See you Sunday!
- **Sorry, pet owners, but Big Marsh’s status as a home for migratory birds means only Service Animals are permitted in the park
- The Course:
- Hey everyone… Happy New Year!!!
- Before you hunker down and go into cycling hibernation for the winter we’re having one more event… an Awards Party after all!
- Who: You, and us, and anyone who wants to join.
- What: 2022 CCC Awards Party
- When: Saturday February 4th 2023
- Where: Specialized Fulton Market (thanks Specialized for hosting us!)
- Why: Who doesn’t want to hang out with our cyclocross family with free food, dranks, and prizes?
- Food: Pizza & Salad
- Beverages: Beer and Non-alcoholic options
- Raffle: Chances to win loads of cycling-related prizes!
- Series Winner Awards, announced by the greatest MC
in Chicago– Kenny Labbe
- 6:30 pm Start
- 7:30 pm Awards
- 9:30 pm Closing Time
- Please join us! Get out of the house for a little bit. Free entry (just don’t make a mess of the place), and a chance to hang with the CCC community not in a sweaty or freezing cold pop-up tent.
- Please RSVP here –> https://forms.office.com/r/LdvWr8JqPP
- See you there!
And finally… Looks for details soon concerning the best cycling fundraiser ever… Afterglow – A Cyclocross Race… to benefit West Town Bikes and Blackstone Bicycle Works… happening sometime in May at Big Marsh!!
- The final race of the Chicago Cyclocross Cup at Montrose Beach, the Ald. James Cappleman Midwest Regional p/b Specialized Chicago, is fast approaching, and the organizers Spidermonkey Cycling and Half Acre Cycling have a few early notes to munch on along with your turkey.
- Get a limited edition race poster designed by Half Acre Cycling’s own Matt Maniscalco. Purchase early at either Specialized Chicago retail location, series sponsor Tailwind Cycles, or when you register EARLY on BikeReg — and avoid getting it muddy when you pick-up your bib number EARLY on Saturday, December 3 at Specialized Fulton Street. Any remaining posters will be available at registration.
- Also remember our friends to the east are holding Region Riot CX this coming Sunday; a great way to make sure your legs are ready to battle for midwest bragging rights! #OPEcx
- And finally… we here at the CCC wish everyone a fantastic and restful Happy Thanksgiving. Fuel up, the season isn’t quite over yet!
- Hey everyone! The 2022 Chicago Cyclocross Series begins this Sunday at SCHILLER Woods (Picnic Grove #12), hosted by xXx Racing-Athletico. Note the venue change to SCHILLER Woods and not Caldwell Woods. We can’t wait to see everyone at SCHILLER WOODS!
- Online pre-reg closes Friday night 9/30/2022 at midnight, but please don’t wait until the last minute.
- We’ll have more info posted Thursday for the course preview.
- And finally… a friendly reminder to please make sure you have your bikes tuned up, tyres filled with air, USAC licenses renewed, online waivers initialed within BikeReg, and gear bags ready. It’s been a while since we all raced with each other, so let’s get back into the rhythm.
- Okay, we know its actually Thursday, but we’re trying to enjoy the last bit of summer too!
- All 7 series events are now up on: https://www.bikereg.com/events/Cyclocross/ILLINOIS/. Reg will open tomorrow, Friday 9/9 at 9am for Schiller Woods, Glenwood Academy, ABD Sunrise Park, Campton, and Montrose. Groundhog and George Garner Memorial will open for pre-reg as soon as they are permitted with USA Cycling.
- A bunch of changes to note for 2022:
- We have two related changes to the race day schedule. The Cat 3 time slot will now be Cat 3/4 and the Cat 4/5 time slot at the end of the day will now be just Cat 5.
- We’re keeping the Masters age group races as open category (i.e. Cat 1-5) but will unofficially score the Cat 4/5’s separately in the Series Overall Standings.
- xXx Racing will host the first race of the series at Schiller Woods… not Caldwell Woods. Its not that far away, but please don’t show up to Caldwell Woods which is undergoing construction.
- We unfortunately will not have leader’s jerseys for the series (inflation and supply chain issues affect everyone) but we will award winner’s jerseys at the end of the season.
- Speaking of inflation, race entry prices have increased +$5 across the board and +$10 for juniors. The CCC has kept entry fees constant for a long, long time but need to increase to pay for lots of things. Want to race for cheaper? Get in touch with the race directors through BikeReg… they’re always looking for an extra volunteer hand on race day.
- What’s NOT changing:
- You know him, you love him, and this year he’s got a brand new, extended range wireless mic… Kenny Labbé is announcing the entire series from the ‘Not Reg’ tent. Send playlist requests his way.
- We won’t have One2Go running the finish line camera this year, but our local rockstar Nikki Cyp (who ran timing for all our events over the past several years anyway) will be behind the ICA’s new FinishLynx camera providing timing and lap times. We won’t have LiveLynx live results, but you’ll still have your results emailed to you shortly after each race assuming your pre-reg’d with a valid email address.
- Numbers on your left side, always.
- Staging by CrossResults.com points for the first race, then the first row (8 racers) by series points and everyone else by CrossResult.com points. You need to be pre-reg’d with your correct USAC license number for us to pull in your CrossResults points. Day of Reg’d racers will be staged at the back, unless you’re in the top 8 (because we’re good at spreadsheets). We’ll post preliminary staging online the day before each event… please check at that time to make sure you’re staged properly, not the day of the race!
- Email us at [email protected] any time with questions, suggestions constructive criticism, praise, & random thoughts in the middle of the night. We don’t have a Patreon, although we do accept fine baked goods… just show up and race your hardest!
- Good vibes, fair and enthusiastic competition… just like a big, weird, family.
- And finally… Cross is almost here! Get yourself and your bike(s) ready now. Obviously, support your local bike shop(s)! Let’s have another great season and enjoy each other’s company on both sides of the course tape. See you soon!
- Hey’all are you ready for cyclocross season? #crossiscoming
- We’re still looking for a few Series Sponsors to help make the series go, so if you love the CCC and/or have some dollars burning a hole in your pocket… get in touch with us at [email protected]!
- Speaking of sponsors… longtime friend of and racer in the series, Paul Warloski has a coaching service called Simple Endurance Training and a new strength training e-book. Check him and it out online and at the races! http://www.simpleendurancecoaching.com/
- We realize it’s a little late in the season, and the CCC is not the decider here, but we have a website that lots of people look at with their eyeballs, so we’re helping get the word out. There are two entries being considered for the 2022 Illinois State Cyclo-cross Championships and the Illinois Cycling Association (ICA), who is the governing body that decides, needs your input. Team leaders/admins should have received an email about casting a vote by this Wednesday 8/24/2022, so if you haven’t received that email or cast your vote, please get in touch with the ICA ASAP.
- Our CX friends down and mid-state in the Heartland of Illinois CX (HICX)series are running a “Dungaree competition”. Check it out, make some cool art, and win some cold hard cash dollars: https://hicx.us/dungaree/
- If you haven’t already reg’d… get on it!!! xXx Racing Relay Cross is THIS WEEKEND 8/28/2022 in Jackson Park at the usual spot.
- Relay CX Transportation Logistics & Parking:
- The Chicago Triathlon will be operating on Lakeshore Drive, the Lakefront Trail, and other roadways in and around downtown near the lakefront on Sunday. Plan accordingly and leave yourself PLENTY of time to get to Relay Cross.
- All southbound lanes of Lakeshore Drive will be closed between Randolph Street and Hollywood Avenue between 5am and 12pm.
- The Lakefront Trail will be clogged with Chicago Triathlon runners, aid stations, volunteers, and spectators between Randolph Street and 31st Street.
- PARKING at Relay Cross: Parking at Jackson Park for Relay Cross is available in the parking lot on the NORTH SIDE of Hayes Drive (6300 South) just west of Lakeshore Drive. Street parking may also be available. NO parking is available in the parking lot on the SOUTH SIDE of Hayes Drive just west of Lakeshore Drive. Relay Cross attendees may drop off equipment in the lot, but parking is not permitted. Parked vehicles will be ticketed and towed by the City of Chicago.
- Let’s kick off the Chicagoland CX season in the best way possible. See you all this weekend!
- And finally… we’re still getting over our 2 year COVID hangover, and making a few changes here and there to host the best series we possibly can. We’ll post updates and changes here in the weekly updates, but please make sure you review the schedule and rules/faqs pages to make sure you’re up-to-date. We’re excited to get back to a more “normal” season and can’t wait to see you all out at the races!
USA Cyclo-cross National Championships starts today at Cantigny Park in Weaton!
There are still a bunch of “volunteer opportunities“ (i.e. we NEED your help!) available this week, mostly for course marshals and course crossing guards. Remember, every volunteer receives an admission wristband good for the entire race week, plus lunch, t-shirt, beanie hat, cow bell and other goodies.
Pick-up of online wristband purchases, or in-person purchases, will be at the official host hotel: Sheraton of Lisle all week through Friday, December 10, 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Then at overflow parking at the DuPage County Complex on Saturday and Sunday, 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Thanks to everyone who has helped to make this event a reality and good luck to everyone racing, especially the Chicago Cyclocross Cup community!
Nationals is only two weeks away! It’s been a long road to get to this point and it’s actually happening, who’s excited?
Volunteer signup is open, We had over 100 people put their hands up to help and now you can. We need help both the week before the event and during. Remember, every volunteer receives an admission wristband good for the entire race week, plus lunch, t-shirt, beanie hat, cow bell and other goodies.
If you just want to come watch, you can purchase your admission wristbands online through December 6. Wristbands allow admission for all days of the event, ages 10 and up. Pick-up of online wristband purchases, or in-person purchases, will be at the official host hotel: Sheraton of Lisle beginning Monday, December 6 through Friday, December 10, 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Then at overflow parking at the DuPage County Complex on Saturday and Sunday, 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
And finally, we wish everyone a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!
- Thanks to everyone who came out to Wheeling this past weekend for the final race of the 2021 un-series this year. We really appreciate everyone racing safe and taking the ongoing pandemic seriously. Hopefully in 2022 we’ll get back to “normal”.
- Note that Region Riot CX is now the Midwest Regional Championships. The race is in 2 weeks over Thanksgiving weekend and Reg is open on BikeReg.
#CXNats is a month away! Volunteer roles/time slots were posted last week! If you haven’t signed-up to receive volunteer information, you can do it here:
Also, registration for team parking is still open. The regular spots (like you’d see at a CCC race) are available here. But if you want to look or feel #pro, the large/pro team area is available to any team and can accommodate vehicles/trailers/etc… (sorry, no hot tubs).
Finally, sponsorships and/or space in the event expo is also still available. Get your company’s message to the masses, both in-person and on the live stream on FloSports!